Sunday 31 May 2009

First Day Of My Life

Yes name of a beautiful song by Bright Eyes-currently in the Halifax advert I believe. If I had to thank that person for anything it would be for reminding me about Bright Eyes.

Anyway I have decided screw it- This blog will be dedicated to my thoughts on music and such. I will still blog about myself but most of all I will ramble on about music.

I think this first blog may well turn into a rant. In fact scratch that... I know it will. A rant on the "joys" of NME.
This is my upset; what NME says is cool is cool. No one objects to this it's just well, fact. If NME tells me that The Wombats are the next cooleset thing, then by god, they must be. If NME say The wombats are soo 2008 then christ, get those songs off your IPod and pretend you've never heard of them.
We seem to have entered a time now where originality in play lists doesn't exist and yes-it's down to all this "fresh talent", all these "underground bands" and of course magazines decreeing whats "hot" and whats "not".
Why, is my question. Why should I explain myself when I say no I don't like "underground music" or why should I have to explain myself when I say "no I don't care about the supposed cool new bands that are emerging" Chances are thanks to NME and such they will actually only be "cool" for exactly 10 seconds and then a new fad will emerge-this time with tassels!
Pinch me, please.
I'm sorry if my idea of a cool night out doesn't involve some "emo/scene" kids strutting around on a claustrophobic stage thinking they are "living the dream" when in fact they probably don't even know more than a few chords and the chords they do know, can't be played because unfortunately in all the kerfuffle of getting their hair to look suitably weird, and their jeans washed so many times it would be a miracle if they didn't ride around their hips, yes in all this nonsense they have forgotten that they actually, just maybe needed to learn to tune their instruments and oh god, maybe possibly try to sound like they'd practiced.

In reality these "living the dream" folk are possibly not as good as their posse make them out to be. Maybe in fact, to the normal people who are not engulfed in this "mint" group, their music is actually...just shit. Sorry but it's possible isn't it?

What also annoys me (maybe unfairly so) is the sheer amount of people who like these "underground" bands because again they think that it will make them seem cooler and more (god help me) "random, ironic etc" Lets be honest liking these bands does not make you stand out or look different, because really you are just a tiny person in the growing number of fools that have abandoned actual good music for noise and a "fashion sense" oh lets not forget the "wacky unconventional" hairstyle that's key to the mix.
I'm sorry to burst your little hipster bubbles but the reason your "Ahh-maaa-zing" bands remain unsigned is for the simple reason-they are not good enough, it's not because of "nobody gets us" because we do. We get that you're crap.
Yes okay, far be it for me to say that out there , there are definitely not occasionally bands that remain unsigned and unheard of by wider audiences that are actually really good and deserve to get their gig, but reality check people... these bands, unfortunately are becoming more occasional. They are being overshadowed by idiots that jump around on stage forever having to pull their tight ass jeans up and check their "oh so ironic hairstyle" is still ironic. It actually sometimes makes my skin crawl. I care that much lol.

Wouldn't it be fun to go back a few years where to be noticed you needed talent and not a Disney pay check. Or at the least you needed charisma that made you stand out in a crowd and singled you out as being one of the greats. You knew how to get your audience worked up instead of after every set disappearing backstage and demanding wet wipes, water, lobster etc- that's not cool, its just depressing.

What I'm trying to say is this. "STOP" please just stop. Stop telling me that I'm gonna love this unheard of new band because the lead-wow- makes music with his shoelace. Stop telling me that The Jonas Brothers are set to be the next Beatles-because are you serious? Really?
And please, please stop telling me a bout your "crazy ass" nights out where you got really drunk and off it on whatever crap you think are drugs, and moshed it till the early hours to a band, I would hope even you when sober, would realise were actually...SHIT.

Sorry that my first blog was a rant lol-it wont be next time. Also sorry if you don't agree with what I said- I know I probably sound mad and I bet when i read it back i will cringe but hey ho-not bothered.

No comments:

Post a Comment