Sunday 13 December 2009

You Will. You? Will. You? Will. You? Will


I love fashion photos, I love how they do actually tell a story. Almost like a fairytale. The Poor girl with big dreams.
Fashion photos show that fashion is in fact art. I'm not a huge follower of fashion. Don't get me wrong I like to make an effort but again the stuff in my wardrobe is hardly "in". I follow a lot of fashion blogs because they are interesting and, like I said, a form of art. It's amazing seeing an outfit that someone has created.

I wish I knew how to put clothes together and know that they just worked. I would never dream to put a girly short dress with huge heavy biker boots but it works! It looks good, it looks arty.
In fashion photos it's not just the clothing that could legitimately stand in an art gallery, it's the set. Fashion photographers must put so much thought, not only into the position of their models but also the location. For example the photo of the girl in the billowing blue dress in a run down flat makes the product stand out. It's beauty in the most unlikely place. Yet somehow the dress makes this meager location somehow look fairey-Esq. The spiral staircase with the subtle patterns makes this building seem greater than it is. It gives it an edge, makes it appear like it has a history. It complements this designers piece as if they had used this derelict room as inspiration.
The craziness of fashion photos also add to the complete arty vibe. I could imagine seeing any one of these pictures in an art gallery. They are just as much works of art as any other photo or paining. The designer of the clothes, the set designers and the photographer have all worked just as hard as any other artist. They have successfully made their finished piece one that catches the imagination, that makes the intended audience want to buy the clothes. If that isn't art then what is?
Fashion photography is art in my opinion, sure I'm not really that bothered about the clothes featured though yeah I would quite like wear some of the dresses featured in vogue but there is something more. When you look at all the vogue cover spreads and the fashion photography inside it's like each piece does tell a story and story's can be appreciated by everyone whether they have that keen eye for fashion or not.
Roseanna x

No comments:

Post a Comment